I shared some initial sketches for a San Francisco family room last week. We are also working on the cutest pair of rooms for a pair of little girls. I put together two looks, but both treat the rooms as a pair. Currently one wall of one room is painted a very pale blue and the other has pale pale pink. The blue room has a white full bed and a white swing chair. The pink room needs everything!
I'm working on some e-design for a beautiful home in San Francisco, and loving the initial directions for the family room (open to a white kitchen and a TBD dining room). These are making me wish that I was little more laid back and cool--oh, and that I lived in California!
While I generally love incorporating people's treasures, there is also something pretty liberating about starting from scratch.
My girls turned 7 and 9 last month, and they have decided it is time to have their own rooms (Eleri will move into the guestroom). My husband had the lovely idea to do the makeovers when the girls are away at their grandparents. We have a little tradition of this--the last time I made over their room it was a surprise, as well.
Eleri will move into the guest room, and she has started to get comfortable in there already.
It's going to change a lot! Eleri wants sky blue walls, white curtains, and "Bed curtains" or a canopy, as well as the swing chair from the shared room and possibly the existing desk. Beyond that she doesn't seem to care much. I happened to find a pair of suzani euro shams in pastel colors from Pottery Barn and took them as a starting point for the room.
I am thinking buffalo check headboard (she prefers purple, I prefer orange), (existing) blue hotel bedding, a velvet ikat lumbar pillow (she loves), a coral/orange linen quilt (scored way on sale), and probably the existing jute rug layered with an existing sheepskin. Pretty sure I have an extra pair of white linen curtains from Ikea lying around, and they can get a pom pom trim.
I can spraypaint existing double gourd lamps from green to orange, and I found a fabulous painting in the color scheme (which we love regardless).
Problem is, there are SO MANY ways we could go in this room with the basic requirements, and I wonder if this is the very best it can be. That said, sometimes when things come together quickly and easily, I think you just go with it!
Designing this way in a vacuum. Feedback would be great!
July is the shortest and the longest month. In addition to the Fourth holiday, this year we had two kid birthday parties (for our kids), two family birthday parties (for our kids), several installs, a trip to San Francisco, and tons of shoot prep for a shoot that has been rescheduled! I'm exhausted, in the best possible way.
Whenever I take an accidental blog hiatus I don't quite know where to start when I return. So I will start with the present: yesterday we bought a dresser for the master bedroom. For the past ten years we have been using a pair of Ikea dressers that I spray painted in our Brooklyn basement. (I wish I had a photo of the very country before: knotty pine with black iron hardware!) they were great in our Brooklyn bedroom flanking the bed:
And they have been functional side by side in Boulder and now here. But this is how much I don't love them anymore: when I had scouting shots done of my house in the fall, I had the photographer skip that side of the room altogether and focus on pretty detail shots like this.
To give you a sense of it, the large photograph in the photo below is sitting on the dressers, pushed together on a long wall.
(Don't you just love photographs that show you the inside from the outside?)
Long story short (too late!), I have been sort of keeping an eye out for a long 9-drawer dresser for years. So when this one popped up on the instagram feed of Retrowanderlust, one of my favorite local vintage shops (the source for the tree!), I jumped on it.
Just in time for the rescheduled photo shoot. Maybe I will allow a wider shot of the bedroom this time. Of course, who knows what dominoes may fall from this.....
A while ago, I wrote about a bathroom where I needed to create a "design language" that blended the previous design choices in the client's kitchen and bath. That full post is here. The bathroom is just about done and looking great!
Here's the before:
And the after:
The biggest problem in this tiny bath was the overscale, dated vanity that took up most of the room.
This little guy solved that problem and made the room feel much bigger!
Having a smaller pivot mirror separate from the vanity unit also helps.
This room is 5x7 and nearly impossible to photograph (and of course, my phone camera is not the best), but I think the results are charming.
I should also say that I wouldn't often do grasscloth in a bathroom, but this one is very infrequently used, and the texture makes a hug difference in the feeling of the space.